Wednesday, March 02, 2022

not quite quotes

What is your favorite quote about writing or writers? Explain...


I reach, but recall fails me. A cavern holds the memory of treasure, as each tide swishes in and steals whatever's sat there. Not a damn thing stays where I put it, and that's a promise.

Say, “a scroll in the morning is death to a writer,” which I saw, would you believe it,
on social media, and though I’ve mangled the original words, I do believe it –
screens steal our sacred thoughts, which may be even eviler than their theft of our time.

“They took as they tasted the best of my wine; they took me down dancing the rape of the vine.”

In my own quote, I thought I was quoting another poem, but I can’t find it– whose words are they, then?

I’m nearly sure Adrienne Rich told us poetry might be the purest form of art, in that its very essence could never be commodified or captured by capitalism. I’ve hung my hat on this one for at least a decade, so deeply I want it to be true but meanwhile shrink and sniffle at even the idea I could wear that wondrous robe, “Poet,” and those that do, bless you, bless you. I think I need to trust that there’s a secret room, locked to merchandisers and advertisers, where Truth will bloom and not be plucked, where Beauty fruits and Ugly struts, without the compromise of commerce tying y’all in knots.

Where is diction’s temple? The sanctuary of verbiage?

“The rebellion of art is a daily rebellion against the state of living death routinely called real life.” And if that doesn’t rattle your bones, I don’t know what will. Jeannette Winterson peels back the curtain of certainty (the pinprick of history we cling to as canon), reveals the stage of flesh as the show itself–a play of finite bodies treading the boards of the infinite. We make to move beyond. We must.


(alt title= constructing a home for language)

No comments: