Friday, November 13, 2009

ready to explode

i slept all morning to, i guess, make up for the amount of sleep i haven't gotten over the last week. i wish i hadn't, though, because my service trip with my abroad class is tonight, and i'm afraid i'll be up all night, and then i won't want to wake up to garden.
speaking of my abroad class... i woke up to this email from my mom, who i had spoken with on the phone last night. she was planning to call somebody from international programs, but i suppose she couldn't find just one person and decided email was better. so she sends the following email addressed to the dean of students, the dean of work (one of my teachers), and two people in the international programs office... but she didn't use their individual emails and now i'm freaking out that a bunch of student workers are reading the following letter:

To all of you --- I wasn’t sure who to address and it has take longer than I like to find email addresses (does no one have individual e-mail?)

I have a number of concerns about my daughter’s upcoming study abroad class. I don’t want to pay for something that, frankly, seems poorly planned and lacking in academic rigor.
As of yesterday, there was no syllabus, and no full itinerary. The classes that are supposed to prepare the students for the trip are, in the opinion of my daughter, not helpful. I trust my daughter’s reasons for questioning why she should continue with a class this unpromising.

This brings me to my second concern. The plane tickets were bought the week of the first class. It was too late to withdraw when she discovered the class was not what she thought it would be. The class description was certainly enticing, and I’m sure Alanna imagined something more suited to her interests. But again, when the imagination became reality, it was too late. This is most unfair.

I really wanted my daughter to have a study abroad experience, even a very short one. I expected more from Warren Wilson programs because such a strong emphasis is placed on international studies. I really want her to have a good experience. Is there any way she could design an independent study to pursue in England for the time period? Perhaps Warren Wilson has a partner college somewhere that would provide housing. I do not want to lose the money we have paid, and I do not want Alanna to miss a trip to England that will be closer to the study we both believed was offered. I may be overly optimistic, but I believe we can find a way to make this a positive trip.

I usually try to let my daughters’ figure out the problems of college life on their own. However, this problem is too thorny to ignore. I will support Alanna in her decisions, but I wanted to make sure we covered every option.

I appreciate that you listen to our concerns, and I hope we can find a way through the thorns.
Respectfully,
[MY MOM]

after this message, how can i go on the group trip now, even if i wanted to? what a mess. someone please tell me how to feel about this.

3 comments:

katherine said...

it's a pretty reasonable letter, i think. a phone call probably would have been better, but i guess this is what you got. maybe you could ask her to give a call anyways? her idea about an independent study is a good one. maybe y'all can work something out...it never hurts to ask! it does suck that student workers might be reading this letter, but i think it is a well-thought out argument, so try not to feel too self-conscious. she is protesting the lack-of-rigor rather than the rigor after all.
i looked at that 'detailed itinerary' for the trip the other day, and it certainly does not have many specifics. i mean, what does 'tour the city' entail??

katherine said...

but of course, i do see why you are upset about the letter.

the admiral said...

first response to my mom's letter:

Thank you for sharing your concerns about Alanna's study abroad course. I am sorry that the course is not what Alanna expected. Naomi O---, our director of International Programs, is out of the US on business until Monday, November 16, but I have copied her in on this response, and I am sure she will be in touch when she returns.

I have attached the travel itinerary for the course. We typically give these to students during the pre-departure orientation, but they are available earlier from our office if students ask. We began the travel planning for the course last July, and I have been working closely with course instructors Lyn O--- and Ian R--- to make travel arrangements since then. We purchased the plane tickets in October because, in our years of experience, if we delay past that point, flights fill up quickly and it becomes very difficult to purchase tickets to accommodate the entire group.

As I explained in an earlier e-mail to Alanna, she has until November 20 to withdraw from the course with a passing grade. I have also attached our administrative fee structure. If Alanna withdraws from the course by that deadline, the College can refund $1150 of her $1350 program fee.

Our partner institutions in the United Kingdom do not offer housing for students traveling on their own. It is the College's general policy that in order to receive financial support for study abroad, students must be participating in a faculty-led WWC course, a WWC semester abroad program or another US-accredited study abroad program. To my knowledge, the College has never provided study abroad funding for a student doing an independent study.

I am certain that the course instructors will contact you regarding the academic content of the course, and I hope that we will be able to find a solution that meets Alanna's needs.

Regards,
[assistant director of international programs]